Alappuzha, also known as Alleppey, is a city located in the southern Indian state of Kerala. It is known for its picturesque backwaters and traditional houseboats, as well as its rich culture and history. Some of the best things to know about Alappuzha include:
- Alappuzha is also known as the “Venice of the East” due to its network of canals and lagoons that crisscross the city.
- The city is famous for its backwater tourism and houseboat cruises, which offer visitors the opportunity to explore the scenic backwaters and see traditional rural life.
- Alappuzha is also home to a number of historical and cultural sites, including the Alappuzha Beach, the Sri Krishna Temple, and the St. Andrew’s Basilica Arthunkal.
- The city is also known for its rich culture and history, and is home to a number of festivals and events throughout the year, including the famous Nehru Trophy Boat Race.
- The Alappuzha is also famous for its traditional art forms such as Kathakali, which is a traditional Indian dance-drama, and Mohiniyattam, which is a traditional Indian dance form.
- Alappuzha is a major center of coir industry and has a large coir factory.
- Alappuzha’s cuisine is heavily influenced by the local culture and features a variety of traditional dishes such as Puttu, Appam, and Idiyappam.
Overall, Alappuzha is a beautiful and interesting place to visit, with plenty to see and do for visitors of all ages and interests.
Check out these two useful links for German and Canadian citizens for submitting Indian visa application forms online
Top Things to do in Alappuzha